SR22 insurance is not car insurance policy, but it’s a document relating to your car insurance policy. They simply are documents stating that you have an active car insurance coverage. Usually, an SR22 insurance is issued if the policy holder is convicted of a traffic violation and cannot show proof of financial responsibility. Also, SR22 insurance is issued if so ordered by a judge but this will depend on what state you are in. Filings of SR22 insurance is made by the insurance companies and not by the insured. Who better to certify that you are indeed insured than your car insurance provider? If you live happen to move into states like Kentucky, Delaware, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Minnesota, you should know they don’t require issuance of SR22 insurance.
One of the best ways to find a provider that can offer you SR22 insurance forms is through the Web. This website has an insurance search tool that you may use for free to get the most affordable rates and policies online.
Difference between SR22 Insurance and Non Owner SR22 Insurance
SR22 insurance form is required to drivers who have been caught of several traffic violations such as driving without the required insurance coverage and DUI. SR22 insurance form is issued by insurance companies to the state’s department of motor vehicles and acts as a certification that the driver has the coverage in case of future road troubles.
SR22 insurance policy is given to those who have their own vehicles and run into traffic violations as indicated earlier. If you do not have your own vehicle and you are required to have SR22 insurance form, then you need to get the non owner SR22 insurance policy. This insurance allows you to drive a vehicle you rented or borrowed even after you were charged with any of the mentioned traffic violations.
Remember that getting an SR22 – whether it is for car owners or non-car owners – can be pretty hard since insurers do not just give certification for high risk drivers, so be sure to shop around for good insurance companies that can provide you with SR22.
SR22 insurance policy is a type of proof of financial responsibility that is required for those who were caught driving uninsured cars. However, this proof of financial responsibility is not really an insurance (although it is often referred to as such). The SR22 only provides an assurance that the person carrying it can be financially responsible in case an incident requires him to have such responsibility.
Normally, if a person commits a traffic violation or gets caught in a car accident, the police will ask him to show any proof of financial responsibility (often in the form of car insurance). If the person fails to show any proof of this responsibility, the police will give him a citation for violating the car insurance law. The person will then be asked to purchase an SR22 insurance that has a validity of 3 years or less. The SR22 insurance can be purchased from a car insurance company who specifically sells it (not all companies sell an SR22). These companies are responsible for updating the state insurance regulator about any changes in the SR22, such as cancellation or termination. Once the validity of the SR22 ceases, the person holding it must be able to show to the court his own insurance policy. If he fails to do so, the court may give him another sanction.
One of the misconceptions about what is SR22 insurance is that it is only for people that have had a DUI or DWI. While these are the two most common reasons, there are some other reasons that you might need SR22 insurance.
The SR22 insurance certificate is a common thing that is required for people that are ordered to have proof of auto insurance by a judge. The certificate is also related to your auto insurance carrier so that they know that you have the financial means of providing and continuing to have car insurance.
While most of the time having an SR22 certificate can result from a DUI or DWI, all it really means is that the car insurance company that you go with must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state if you fail to maintain your insurance.
So, what other reasons would you need SR22 insurance coverage? Well, if you have had an at-fault accident without insurance coverage, then this is another big reason why. If you were in an accident that was determined to be your fault, and you didn’t have insurance coverage, then you would be cited into court for failure to have insurance. The judge at this time can require SR 22 insurance in order for you to prove that you have insurance.
The reason that you would need to prove insurance coverage is if your drivers license was suspended or revoked because of the accident.
Another reason would be if you have had other traffic violations that would have resulted in revoking or suspending your drivers license. While there are many types of traffic citations and violations that could lead to your drivers license being suspended, not all of them would require an SR22.
The SR22 is a method of the court system to control you having your license. You must maintain auto insurance coverage in order to keep your license. Some of the low cost car insurance companies provide SR22 insurance coverage at great prices, designed just for these types of circumstances.
Best SR 22 Insurance Companies
One of the hardest parts of finding the required SR22 insurance coverage that you need is comparing quotes from different companies. But, which car insurance companies will actually insure high risk drivers?
There are usually a smaller number of auto insurance companies that will provide coverage for anyone with multiple traffic offenses or a DUI/DWI on their driving record. Finding those companies online can be tough too. But if you are looking for SR22 high risk driver auto insurance, here are just a few suggestions of some of the more popular companies to consider.
Geico is known for insuring people that have special car insurance needs. Whether you need the minimum required by law or if you are a high risk driver with SR22 needs, Geico seems to be pretty competitive with their rates.
Progressive insurance is another company that markets itself as providing coverage for a wide range of clients. The thing to remember is to get a quote and then compare it to the other companies before selecting one.
Allstate might be a good choice also. With their accident forgiveness and other benefits, even though you are high risk or SR22, you could qualify for these benefits under special circumstances.
Nationwide is another auto insurance giant that can possibly provide SR22 insurance needs for you.
With so many different companies that are online, and even more brokers and people offering free car insurance quotes, it won’t take long to find a good company to work with when you need SR22 insurance.
Nowadays, a lot of car insurance companies offer their services through the Internet. Most people shop online for their needs, including their car insurance needs. Choosing the right policy for your SR22 insurance won’t be a simple task especially that the restoration of your driving privileges depends on it. There are a lot of issues to consider when you do comparison between SR22 insurance companies. But the existence of those companies makes your task quite easier. By going through the website of an SR22 insurance company you are considering, you can ask for several quotes so it becomes rather easier to compare their policies and rates.
Before you sign up with a particular SR22 insurance company, you have to find out if they can be able to live up to their promise. This is maybe the most vital thing you have to discover when making a decision on which SR22 insurance company to go with. If an SR22 insurance company can’t give the proper help in case of an insurance claim, then getting cheap SR22 insurance doesn’t mean anything. Excellent customer service in place, financial capacity to give immediate help once you file a claim, adequate technical knowledge and an unbeatable reputation are only some of the important things to keep in mind and know about an SR22 insurance company before signing up with them.
One of the main things to remember is you need to compare line items of the quotes to fully understand what you are getting. Especially if you have SR22 needs to be met, some companies have very specific policies about that type of coverage.
You also need to understand that gone are the days of low premium rates. If you have an SR22 need, then you have been classified as a high risk driver and now you will be paying higher premiums. This is why it is so important for you to shop around and pay particular attention to the line items of coverage.
You might be able to save on one item with one company, whereas another might be lower on a different item. Another factor that plays heavily is the type of car you are driving. Always ask if there is another type of car that would be less to insure than the one you have. You might be surprised what you find out.
Finding the best rates on SR22 insurance is pretty easy, especially if you consider the opportunities to compare online car insurance quotes from several different companies. Getting the high risk driver insurance you need will come down to the cost as the main factor.
Is it possible for somebody to be required for an sr22 if he does not have a driver’s license?
It depends upon the laws of the state and the reason why an individual will be required to carry an SR-22 this even if he/she has no driver’s license. According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Financial Responsibility certificate or sr22 insurance is required for the following reasons:
- Unsatisfied judgments
- Driver license suspension as a result of a major conviction
- Uninsured motor vehicle suspension
If you were caught violating any of these then even without a license you may be required to carry a SR22 insurance.
Even if an individual does not have a driver’s license, the state has started a driving record for the person already. If you are caught driving without a license and are also convicted for a traffic violation, these can be recorded under a driver’s record or history even if you do not have a license.
How to keep the SR22 Insurance?
The length of time that one must maintain an SR22 may vary in every US state. Typically it must be carried for 3 years after a DUI/DWI convictions.
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, when three years have elapsed already from the effective date of the suspension or revocation, the Department of Motor Vehicles relieves the car owner of the requirement of providing proof of financial responsibility or sr22. To verify if this you may contact the DMV of your State if this applies to your situation.
Being convicted of driving while intoxicated , driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and maiming will all be kept in your driving record for at least 11 years.
What is the process to get the license back?
For people who has had suspended their own driving privileges due to:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) same as Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) arrest
- Accumulating one too many driving violations within the year
- Driving without carrying a valid Driver’s License
- Driving without adequate liability auto insurance coverage
- Being at fault in causing a major motoring accident, getting an SR22 insurance is a must before they can be allowed get back on the road.
In order to get the drivers license back, you must first get an SR22 insurance policy. An SR22 insurance or SR-22 form is just a proof of the financial capacity that the state requires high-risk drivers or those who have exhibited unsatisfactory driving behaviors to carry.
Basically, if you are a risky driver, you must be financially capable of paying anyone you injure, as well as any property you may have damaged during a car crash.
To get the necessary SR22 form and insurance in your state, you must find an authorized car insurance carrier to file this form for you to your state DMV or Department of Motor Vehicles. Once this is done, you only will have to maintain the SR22 insurance policy for not less than three years, without any lapse or cancellation in your coverage. We recommend that you take advantage of the free SR22 insurance search tool of that website to find authorized provider in your state as well as compare rates and policies easily.
10 Key Facts Regarding SR22 Insurance
SR22 Insurance is an additional form to your regular insurance. This is usually required when the driver is charged with reckless driving offenses, or when simply caught driving without any insurance. There are some key facts you should remember when you are required to purchase such an insurance policy:
- The rules and regulations behind the SR22, its cost and several other important details are subject to change from one state to the other. This is why it is important that you always discuss with a local insurance agent to find out which are the exact terms that come with your insurance policy in the state that you live
- Even if your license is suspended, with an active SR22 Insurance policy, you are allowed to drive, if you can prove that you must have your driving privileges reinstated (driving to work, driving to take kids to school, driving because you are searching for employment, etc.)
- The SR22 insurance is typically quite an expensive type of insurance, mainly because this is issued for high risk drivers only
- Sometimes, it may take even up to one month until you receive your SR22 certificate. Make sure to ask your insurance provider approximately how much it takes until they issue the certificate. Again, the time needed for issuing the certificate depends on many factors, and it differs from one state to the other
- You must never allow SR22 Insurance to lapse. If this happens, your license will get suspended again. Not only this, but you will have to start over with paying for the policy for three years. This automatically means that the overall cost of your SR22 will be extremely expensive
- If your insurance provider is refusing to renew the policy, or it simply doesn’t offer SR22 insurance, you should search for an expert insurance broker who can redirect you instantly towards insurers that generally accept issuing such policies for high risk drivers. You should not waste your time by searching for providers one by one, but ask for the help of professionals
- Currently, there are 5 states which do not require the SR22 insurance. These are Oklahoma, Delaware, Kentucky, New Mexico and Minnesota
- From the moment your SR22 is issued, you will generally have to pay for insurance for a period of three full years. Do a thorough research however, because there are some states which require that you pay for the insurance without allowing one day to lapse, even for 4 or 5 years
- If you cause an accident while driving another person’s car which is not insured, you will be required to file for what is called a non owner SR22 Insurance
- The online world is indeed a huge pool of free information, so right before doing anything else make sure to read everything there is to know regarding the SR22 insurance. This way you will find out about ways to reduce the cost of the policy, about how many years exactly you are required to carry the insurance, or how much it will cost you.